Thursday 6 November 2014

Relationships

A recent classroom forum post made me think about the importance of student and teacher relationships in the classroom and the outcome of students learning. I always think back to some of most profound learning experiences and give credit to the teacher just being a good teacher. But I never really though about why I thought the teacher was a good teacher. Looking at it more deeply now, it's because they took an interest in me, in my interests and related my learning to it to capture me. It makes me want to do the same, and it got me thinking how? Of course there are engaging learning techniques in the classroom, but how do I as the instructor build that relationship as well. Something that came to my mind was during activities such as ice breaker activities, to ask personal questions to share information. |Nothing too intimate, but something about their likes, or hobbies and passion. That gives me some insight into them as not only learners, but as individuals. I think also putting in an activity such as a presentation or a reflective piece and having one to one time with each individual opens up doors for dialogue. It shows that I am interested in their learning and their life and getting to them. This helps build relationships. Well. that is all I have for now, but I hope to continue to "build" with the more experience and feedback I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment