Friday 21 November 2014

Classroom Management

I think one of the toughest parts of being a teacher or instructor is classroom management. I say that because no matter how much subject expertise you have, no matter how many years you have been in the classroom, the only thing that is going to predict how you do with classroom management is your communication and patience. I have found in past experiences that teachers who are more "authoritarian" tend to get into power struggles with students. That is very uncomfortable thing to experience as a learner because the teacher begins to lose credibility when they act authoritarian. What I mean by that is, they are more demanding, can be condescending in their tones, which comes across disrespectful and reflects poorly on the teacher's character. On the other hand I have seen teachers approach the student with respect, and re-direct the misbheaviour, not the student. I think that is a skill in order to be able to do that. For one you have to see the strength in each student, but also patience in communicating that we may not appreciate your behaviour, but we do appreciate you. I think as I go along in my carreer, that is the type of teacher I want to be. Now the question is how will I get there......I think firstly by noticing these qualities is a good step as those are skills I can refine within myself and I can be self aware of. Secondly, I think having open communication and transparency in the classroom is one way to earn respect from the learners. I know where I have always felt respected and my opinion valued, I don't feel a need to veer off into something else. For now, this is a start....

No comments:

Post a Comment