Tuesday 11 November 2014

How much control is too much control?

I had recently run across a website that explained how to be effective with group work in the classroom, and the role of the instructor. This website is https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/teaching-resources/teaching-tips/alternatives-lecturing/group-work/implementing-group-work-classroom.

Although at first I thought what a great resource this was to learn from, I found myself debating with myself of why it was so controlling of the group work process. As a learner, I recall experiences of group work where we had to choose our own groups and what direction our project would go it. We had to learn to communicate with each other and divide the work up  ourselves.  Whereas, the University of Waterloo site talks about he instructor diving the groups, setting ground rules for interactions, assign group tasks...etc.

As a future instructor, it worries me, are we taking on too much control and are the learners missing out on learning these valuable tasks on their own because we are taking over the process? I think this will be an ongoing debate with in myself.  But, one thing I know for sure is that I want learners to have to figure things out on their own as well, learn to problem solve, not only within themselves, but with other team members as well. That is how you learn what is effective and appropriate and what is not. What will this look like in the classroom, not so sure yet. But when I know, you will be the first to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment