Friday 27 February 2015

Web 2.0 Tools-Poll Knowledge

Something new that is an instructional tool in the class is web 2.0 tools. IT is something that we can create, work with others, edit, and share it online with others (www.web2014.discoveryeducation.com). One example of this that I came across and captured my attention was Poll Everywhere. The premise of this is using mobile devices in the classroom to take polls to assess and share knowledge in the classroom. I myself, love this idea, both as an instructor and as a learner. As a learner, I like the idea of being engaged with, throughout the class. It can help me learn where my peers are at and if I am learning or not. As an instructor, its a great way to get personal perspectives in a quick way to stimulate conversations in the class, as well as constant assessment to see if learning is happening. On the other hand, it has its fall back in that we as instructors already compete with social media in the classroom as a distraction, and my worry would be we are encouraging that once we ask them to pick up their phones. Also, for people who may not be able to afford a mobile device, it is not a fair tool then. With that said, it all depends on the age of the learners, maturity and level of trust between instructor and the learners, but this something I will try for sure in the future. Below and to the external links page I will attach a link to the tool!
http://www.polleverywhere.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment